electricsandbox.freeforums.org
   General Discussion Forum
    Register Portal  • Arcade  •  Calendar  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Login     
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:05 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to electricsandbox

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, View our EarthCams and many other features we 're sure you will enjoy.

Post subject: One mans meat is another mans poisen..
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:25 am 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 36 time
Highscores: 112
I guess a lot of us on here have some odd likes and dislikes as to foods.. I thought it might be good to highlight some of our regonal differences... Obviously our flora & fauna differ..

I have to say that I was shocked when talking with Cindy about people eating Squirrels...among other things...

To us in the uk Squirrels may look cute but they are destructive vermin... I do not think we would be allowed to shoot them, as no doubt someone will accuse us of animal cruelty.. Thought if I had a gun, I'd shoot the lil terrors..

We all know the French eat Frogs and snails.. I can't say I would fancy them either...

So tell us about your likes and dislikes..
No I have never Eaten 'Gators' they are in short supply in the uk :lol:
:TNK:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: One mans meat is another mans poisen..
PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:22 am 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Have thanks: 95 time
Highscores: 1
Well here we go with my list of things I like to eat:
snails, frog legs, crawfish, squirrel, rabbit, duck, all types of deer, opossum, armadillo(not often), gator and other misc litter critters I'm sure I've forgotten.

I dislike: sweet potato and that's about it. Everything else is pretty much a go :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:57 am 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Have thanks: 27 time
Highscores: 12
Oh my list is huge hehe: I've eaten frog legs longtime ago, I was on a trip in Paleokastritsa (Corfu island in Greece) where the frog legs are a delicatessen actually over priced and I think it's a way of attract tourists to try it, so it's too dear other than that I can't see the reason why I won't eat them again.

Seafood like calamari, squid, octopus, eel, and the all the normal ones lol anything that comes out of sea, well I spend my whole life near the sea and I believe that if something is fresh it tastes awesome.

Yes snails as cindy mentioned above but I've never tried them in a restaurant nor bought them. I've only eaten the ones we collect from the fields after a rainy day. I missed my mums food hmm.

Magiritsa soup (wiki link here) aka Easter soup, contains the "less desirable" parts of a lamb or beef (organ meats, intestines, the head, etc.).

Tripe soup (wiki link here) and yes it's widely believed to be a hangover remedy, especially after bouzouki or clubbing, usually after 3:00am in the morning (normal hours to end your night out in Greece :JG: ).
BTW I wish i had one of these soups now to get rid of my flu.

I dislike:

lamb because I'm allergic to eat (I haven't eaten lamb since I was 12yold and I tried it recently because i wanted to try haggis, so n ot sure if i'm allergic to it but i don't like the smell of it so I don't think i will it again).

Tangerines, leek, courgettes and some other green things lol.

That's it for now. If I remember something i'll post back.

:sc: >>> off to cook my face now as this smilie :rolf:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 9:36 pm 
Site Admin

Paleokastrita :lol: I know that place... I loved it there all those little white houses in the back streets with lemon trees in the front gardens... I have spent a lot of time in greece, even did a greek language course for a year..

I have never been brave enough to try Cuttle fish.. or Whelks cos they look like snails, so I have never fancied Winkles either.. I am Allergic to Skate but not other fish.. But I cannot stand crab.. tastes like wet salty string to me :D...

We do not have such eoxtic meat choices as Cindy has..and we cannot exactly go hunting for them either..
I won't eat Rabbit cos I had one as a pet.. I wouldn't knowingly eat Horse meat either as I used to help my friends look after their horses too..

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:22 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I'd never imagine that I will find someone that knows Paleokastritsa. :clap: I've been twice there but not during summer. Those houses you describe are all over Greece, apart from the big cities of course.

Cuttle fish :Y: i love it like a stew with spinach, onions and tomato or stuffed with rice or with just onions and tomato it's lovely and softer than kalamari. Looks like an alien but tastes lovely.

My 1st admin wrote a recipe on a site on how to cook squirrel and I thought he was joking lol now i know people eat them. As about rabbits and bunnies I eat them, same as i eat chickens or pork. I spent lots of time as a kid with my grandparents and they used to have all sort of animals in the backyard so eating them is normal to me.

I think it's all about habit/custom, we don't eat horse but in Italy do and actually is the best and clear meat as they say. I don't eat camel but in Egypt is a delicatessen, or scorpions etc etc. I want to try almost everything but i have my boundaries I can't try them all, some of them are too disgusting to even think of trying them.

[marqueeleftright]:PF:[/marqueeleftright]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:47 pm 
Site Admin

I rented a boat out of Paleokastritsa a while back... just to do a little fishing.. Only caught a clown fish and i let it go.. I have caught an octopus on a rod n' line in Paphos, Cyprus..It was big too..I had a whole couple of weeks of fame over that one :lol: Yannis who rented me a fishing rod told every one :lol: I was 20 miles up the coast and I went to a market there by the sea and was looking at lures on a fishing stall and the stall holder knew about it too...

When I was in Paris many years back, my french buddies went with us to a Vietnamese restaurant and they had 'Pekinese dog soup on the menu!!! My friend Gilles said its very good, I declined... The french have a wonderful sweet dish 'Framboise Bavaoise'.. it was wonderful..

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:13 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

Hehe fisherman talk a lot and they like to be proud of the fish they caught even more if a woman catches a big one.
I wouldn't eat that soup too. yikes!

I've eaten lots of times bavarois, it's like cheesecakes you can make it in different tastes like chocolate, caramel, lemon etc etc

BTW did you read the article of Metro 2 days ago? There are people in the world that they don't even know what they are eating, here http://metro.co.uk/2014/02/12/nigeria-h ... a-4300735/ :TNK:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 5:32 pm 
Site Admin

:OMG: I have heard it referred to as 'Long pork'...
Thing is its pretty disgusting and I won't be visiting Nigerian any time soon..

Didn't Sweeney Todd mince up corpses and turn then into pies...
shh ya never know quite what is in a Donner kebab do you... :Wh: :rolf:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 6:10 pm 
Elite Member
Elite Member

I'll have to tell Darklord about the donner kebab, maybe he will stop wanting it. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2014 12:41 am 
Site Admin

I always thought they looked like elephant legs on a spit Yuk.. :ss2: :rolf:

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]