electricsandbox.freeforums.org
   General Discussion Forum
    Register Portal  • Arcade  •  Calendar  •  Chat  •  FAQ  •  Login     
It is currently Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:04 pm

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]

Welcome
Welcome to electricsandbox

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content, View our EarthCams and many other features we 're sure you will enjoy.

Post subject: My Scotland trip..
PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:01 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 36 time
Highscores: 112
I spent 6 days last week in search of various things...I went to the Fort William area close to Ben Nevis Scotlands highest mountain.. We had hoped to be able to make an acent or at least part of it, the easy bit :lol: But a fresh fall of snow put paid to that idea... Our friend Clive had all the right gear and we did not so we were advised against it.. You need Climbing boots and of course we only had walking boots.. Clive is a member of the Moutain rescue team so he had all the gear but even he had to borrow an Ice axe..

It takes an experienced climber 7 hours plus to climb if you are supper fit as its 4,406ft and there was fresh snow so hides the handholds etc. Our buddy climbed to 3000 and then had to turn back as the light goes fast and you do not want to come back idown in the daylight..
So a group of us went on a fact finding tour of Ben Nevis Distillery hehe and checked out the 'Mountain Dew'...

We also went Nessie hunting on Loch Ness with a large cruiser fitted put with 4 large sonar screens to show the contours of the floor of the loch or fish or large swimming sealife..
We discovered that the tales told were largely fiction fueled no doubt by a need to increase tourism/ There is no where in the Loch where it as deep as we heard, the deepest is 700 feet bot the 7 miles bandied about..
Theres just not enough fish in the loch to sustain generations of monsters.. The locals say fishing is very poor there are Artic Char to 14 inches and a preditary kind of Trout that is cannabalistic to its own kind if food stocks are low...
The currents are strange and eddies show up and a humped nessie with a long neck is now dismissed as maybe a swan with a long neck with say 3 cygnets fpllowing along after it, that were mistaken for the monster.. Theres also a lot of floating debris tree branches drifting along in the current.
So No monsters there.. :pigfly:

Profile Send private message  

Post subject: Re: My Scotland trip..
PostPosted: Tue Dec 22, 2015 6:24 pm 
Advanced Member
Advanced Member

Have thanks: 60 time
Star Wolf Medicine Woman wrote:
I visited the Fort William area close to Ben Nevis Scotland's highest mountain.. We had hoped to be able to make an ascent or at least part of it, the easy bit :lol: But a fresh fall of snow put paid to that idea... Our friend Clive had all the right gear and we did not so we were advised against it.. You need Climbing boots and of course we only had walking boots.. Clive is a member of the Mountain rescue team so he had all the gear but even he had to borrow an Ice axe..

I was at Fort William just over 20 years ago with my family. We did a tour of Northern England (the ferry arrived at Newcastle) and Scotland. This was in the summer, so there were none of the problems you mention. My son and I climbed Ben Nevis----well, he reached the top. I turned back a short way from the summit----my acrophobia playing up, no doubt. But what a view!!!!

We also visited Loch Ness. Again, no monsters! I have a 1995 diary somewhere. If I find it (big if!) I can say more about where we went...

I want to stay in.
Get things done."

(David Bowie)

Never online AS A guest!
Click daily!

Post subject: Re: My Scotland trip..
PostPosted: Sun Dec 27, 2015 4:46 pm 
Site Admin

Have thanks: 36 time
Highscores: 112
My friend Clive doesn't climb Ben Nevis the tourists way.. He climmb the North face which is a whole new ball game.. I would have tried to see what I could have done but I'd want my proper boots and jacket and safety equipment..
I used to ski too and come 15.30 we all get off the mountains slopes as the wind chill polishes the snow to hard glass and that is time to be un a warm coffee shop with a hot chocolate.. The town of Fort William has changed a good bit in the last 20 years..
hehe the local defunct church is now home to a climbing wall..

Contact Us | All times are UTC [ DST ]